8 Tips for Your First BJJ Class
So you have decided to start learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and like any new chapter of our lives, there is always a lot excitement mixed with apprehension.
For most of us, the few days prior our first class was nerve racking but it ended up being a life changing experience !
BJJ is far from the formalities and the tough guy attitude that might be found in traditional martial arts and if you ask anyone, how was your first BJJ Class ? 9/10 Will say : I was so nervous but everyone was so nice and friendly !
The sense of community is highly developed in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which makes it more a lifestyle, where you find the most efficient martial artists with a laid back surfer demeanor.
So how can we prepare for our first class ? Here are some tips :
- Bring a friend! Trying something new is less scary with a buddy.
- Hygiene : Brush your teeth , be odorless andcut your fingernails and toenails. You’ll be in close contact with other people and your nails can cut someone. Open wounds in BJJ could lead to more serious issues if they come into contact with fungus or bacteria.
- Remove all jewelry. Jewelry can be accidentally ripped off or cut you or your partner.
- Wear comfortable clothing that covers as much skin as possible. Remember, you will be in close contact. Going back to hygiene, it protects your skin and your training partner’s skin, it reduces risk of propagation of skin disease and dripping sweat.
- Be humble. Be open to learning the lesson your instructor is providing and accept the help of your new teammates. Be kind and respectful to your training partners and do your best to help each other get better at jiu jitsu.
- Learn about the history of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – It shows respect and there is nothing wrong to get more knowledge.
- Relax – Don’t be too tensed during practice, Jiu-jitsu is about speed, timing and movement. Stiffness = Motionless.
- Smile and have fun – socializing is a big part of BJJ, we are a community and help each other on and off the mats.
Finally , Your first class will always be remembered as the beginning of a long journey towards self confidence and self awareness where many friendships have formed so if you did not already book your first class below !